Individuals' Teams Policy
Are you new to Vancouver, or maybe you are just looking to meet some new people in a fun active social setting?
Urban Rec offers individual registration in most our leagues (provided there is space) during both summer and winter. When you are just starting out, it can be tough to get the hang of things, so Urban Rec will act as your conduit to a great experience.
All you have to do is sign up on-line as an individual, fill out the applicable on-line form, and we will be in touch to get you set up on a team. Most of our Individual teams end up developing their own identities and become part of the Urban Rec family. It is a great way to meet some people, have some fun and get active in Vancouver. League sports (all leagues are coed) that have individual registration include:
- Summer-beach volleyball (both coed 4’s and 6’s), soccer (7-on-7), softball(slo-pitch), flag football
- Winter- floor hockey, indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, curling, multi-sport, flag football
Urban Rec will do the following to facilitate the formation of independent teams. Think of it as our promise to you!
- We will provide the space in selected leagues for individual participants to register- if enough individuals of each gender register to make the team viable, then the team will be entered into the league. For example, teams will be formed with the following maximum numbers:
- Volleyball (indoor & beach 6’s)– 8 people (4 males/4 females)
- Volleyball (beach 4’s)- 6 people (3 males/3 females)
- Softball/Ultimate–14 people (6 males/6 females)
- Basketball/Flag Football/Floor Hockey/Indoor Soccer (6-on-6)/Multi-sport/OutdoorSoccer-12 people (7 males/5 females)
- Curling-4 people (any combination of males/females)
- Dodgeball/Indoor Soccer (4-on-4)- 10 people (5 males/5 females)
Once you are registered, you will be able to access a contact list for your new teammates when you sign-in to the Urban Rec website. Provided that your team has a minimum of each gender registered to make the team viable, your team will be entered into the league (if not, then you will receive a full refund). At the first night of play, y our team should select a team captain. It will be this person’s responsibility to assist in the organization of the team–now don’t panic– all you will berequired to do is send an e-mail out ensuring that everyone knows when you are playing, what your team name is, what time to show up.
After that your team will operate as a regular team in our leagues and of course you can contact us with any questions or concerns that you have and we would be please to help!
Frequently asked Questions:
Q: How come you have extra people on the team?
- Our experience tells us that not everyone can make it everyday and this allows for people to take a day off if they want. Also, for most sports, such as soccer, subs are required due to the high tempo of play.
Q. What if the skill level is too high or low?
- We will do everything that we can to make your experience an enjoyable one– individuals’ teams by their very nature are generally comprised of participants that play at a more recreational level- for this reason, all of our individuals’ teams are placed in the most recreational division available to start the season, but may be reseeded based on performance as the season progresses.
Q. How late can I join a team?
- We want to ensure that all of our participants have a great time when playing in our leagues. In order to help facilitate this we only add additional players to individual teams on a case-by-case basis. This is to ensure that our individuals’ teams are not disrupted with new players coming in late. In situations where we cannot add any more players to an individuals’team, werefer people to our Facebook site where they can post on the PLAYERS NEEDED tab and hopefully they can find a place with one of our existing teams. However, we cannot guarantee a spot.
Q.What if I don’t like my teammates or the level of play?
- We form teams based on the information provided by you, the participant. That being said, individual registrants sign up with the knowledge that signing up as an individual means that there is a higher chance to have a personality conflict or skill discrepancy with another member of your team and that you are signing up at your own risk. We will make every effort to assist in solving any issues that come up; however, we would call on your team captain to solve the problem internally first.